Well I successfully made a backup of all the files on our web sites onto my other server. I did that so I could add another hard drive to the existing server and not have the site be down. Although I did not install Movable Type on the backup server (yet) so the comments and dynamic pieces did not work, the static files where still there which served the majority of the purpose.
Samba was a little annoying to setup (its no where near complete) but I got it working (had to copy the files to my user directory, then copy them to the web server home). Had to edit the server to accept default.htm as a document to consider instead of just index.html. It was fairly easy except for a slight confusion about “editing the default” and editing the “default virtual host”.
Next I’ll get movabletype installed, but copying the database seems far from trivial.